Thursday, October 24, 2013

"Horse Tamer" Statue's New Home


© Bryant Library Local History Collection





A preservation success story took place this past Saturday in Gerry Park in the center of Roslyn's historical district, at the unveiling of a meticulously restored "Horse Tamer" statue from the long-gone Harbor Hill, the Gold Coast mansion of Clarence Mackay.










© Bryant Library Local History Collection

Originally two such statues graced Mackay's Stanford White-designed estate. Modeled after sculptures commissioned by Louis XV that once graced the Champs-Elysees and are now on display at the Louvre, the two Mackay horses went separate ways after the house was torn down in 1947. One was moved to Roslyn High School, and the other was left in situ in what became backyard of a private residence, where the 25 foot sculpture "almost dwarfed the house", according to Franklin Hill Perrell, president of the Roslyn Landmark Society.

© Howard Kroplick
© Howard Kroplick

It was the owners of this home, Bruce and Melissa Shulman, who donated the statue to the Town of North Hempstead before selling the property in 2010. The Roslyn Landmark Society embarked on a fundraising campaign to support the restoration of the statue by North Shore Architectural Stone. The nearly 3 year restoration was completed recently, resulting in the grand unveiling of the statue at Gerry Park where it can now be enjoyed by the general public.
© Paul J. Mateyunas
© Paul J. Mateyunas

 As a footnote, the second Horse Tamer sculpture was recently removed from Roslyn High School as its condition was deteriorating rapidly. It is currently at North Shore Architectural Stone where it is being restored. For more information on that project, you can visit: http://www.friendsofthehorsetamer.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment